guix-devel

Re: Building from a local source code checkout

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Building from a local source code checkout
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 15:38:46 +0100

Hi,

Martin Castillo <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Oops, you are right! So
>>
>>    guix build python-activepapers
>> --with-source=$HOME/Development/python-activepapers/
>>
>> actually works, but
>>
>>    guix build python-activepapers
>> --with-source=$HOME/Development/python-activepapers
>>
> As one error message earlier in the thread stated, guix uses lstat to
> get info about the stated file. lstat doesn't follow symlinks. You force
> the dereference by appending the slash.

Indeed.

I agree the matching-name constraint can be annoying.  The alternative
would be allow the user to (optionally?) specify the name of the package
whose source is being changed, as in:

  guix build python-activepapers \
    --with-source=python-activepapers=$HOME/Dev/AP

WDYT?

A bit heavyweight syntactically but maybe we have to live with it.

Ludo’.