guix-devel

Re: Snippets for working on Guix

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: Snippets for working on Guix
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 11:44:45 +0530

>> to avoid the need to type out boilerplate I wrote a couple of snippets
>> that can be used with yasnippet in Emacs, and I thought I should share
>> them with you.
>>
>> These snippets are available:
>>
>>   ./scheme-mode/guix-package
>>   ./scheme-mode/guix-origin
>>   ./scheme-mode/guix-git-reference
>>   ./scheme-mode/guix-hg-reference
>>   ./scheme-mode/guix-cvs-reference
>>   ./scheme-mode/guix-svn-reference
>>   ./text-mode/guix-commit-message-add-package
>>   ./text-mode/guix-commit-message-update-package
>
> That looks really useful!

Indeed, this is very useful! :-)

> Do you think we could add them under etc/emacs in the repo, and somehow
> have them automatically available?  Or should it be in Emacs-Guix?

It would be nice if this was available automatically through emacs-guix.

Apart from the snippets, it would also be nice to somehow automatically
update a package definition -- that is, change the version number,
download the new source, and update the hash. I was trying to work this
out. I was able to get the Guix REPL to download the new source tarball,
but couldn't figure out how to retrieve the new hash from the Guix
REPL. Any pointers?