guix-devel

Re: the importance of rust-build-system [Fwd: [tor-dev] Tor in a safer l

From: ng0
Subject: Re: the importance of rust-build-system [Fwd: [tor-dev] Tor in a safer language: Network team update from Amsterdam]
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 10:04:29 +0000

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 0.9K bytes:
> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 07:58:41AM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> >> tor is seriously considering to switch to rust. I have my own open
> >> bugs / roadmap points which depend on our rust-build-system working.
> >> tor will not switch immediately, but it shows the importance of having a
> >> working rust-build-system. Firefox will switch at some point.
> >
> > It's immediately important because the latest version of librsvg (used
> > to create the GuixSD GRUB background image) is written in Rust. We could
> > even update that package "the hard way", without a full
> > rust-build-system.
>
> For librsvg and Tor, a switch to Rust is both good news and bad news:
> it’s good news because using a memory-safe language is indeed a wise
> decision, but it’s bad news because it introduces a single point of
> trust (opaque Rust binaries built by Mozilla) in our dependency graph.
>
> Ludo’.

It gets even worse: https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/OxidationPlan
So being able to handle rust will be necessary not only for Guix, but
for GNU (iirc we had some Mercurial repos somewhere in GNU, at least
GNU Octave and GNU Health)!
--
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588
GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys