guix-devel

Re: MIME database

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: MIME database
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 11:13:40 +0100

On Tue 28 Nov 2017 10:24, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hello,
>
> (Moving the discussions to guix-devel.)
>
> address@hidden skribis:
>
>> I was wondering why my pdf documents were getting opened in Gimp by
>> default instead of Evince, so I investigated xdg-open and found it
>> uses mimeopen as a fallback, and packaged it. Turns out it didn't make
>> a difference and the issue was simply that the generated
>> mimedata.cache in xdg-mime-database had Gimp listed before Evince.
>
> Oh, good catch.  Profile generation is sensitive to package order; so
> indeed, if GIMP comes first, it “wins.”

I had this problem with e.g. Nautilus vs Baobab on directories.
Apparently the right solution is to install a desktop-specific package
that manually does "tie-breaking" for MIME types that have multiple
handlers.  See 96d36f385cb1de83f95dd0404dc2166d6f877389.  You might try
just installing gnome-default-applications, or we might have a similar
package.

Andy