guix-devel

Re: [bootstrappable] Re: prototyping the full source bootstrap path

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: [bootstrappable] Re: prototyping the full source bootstrap path
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 11:51:28 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

Hey Ricardo,
>> Is there a way to use replace the guile-2.2.2 dependency with the static
>> bootstrap tarball guile-2.0.9?  That would already help a lot!
>
> You can override the “guile-for-build” in the GNU build system by
> passing “#:guile ,my-guile” as an argument.

Thanks...but hmm.  I added this to all my packages (I think...I'm using the
trivial build
system) and when i do

    ./pre-inst-env guix graph --type=bag-with-origins gcc-boot  | dot -Tsvg >
bootstrap.svg

I still see our beautiful [almost-] full source bootstrap dependency
graph in the top right corner and a guile-2.2.2 dependency with the full
GNU build system cloud below it...

While this is not at all urgent, I do think you raised an important
concern here.  Could do with some more help :-)

>> *) should i push this to savannah wip-bootstrap?
>
> Please do!

Done!

Try something like

    git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git guix-bootstrap
    cd guix-bootstrap
    git checkout wip-bootstrap
    ./configure # your options here
    make && ./pre-inst-env guix build gcc-boot
    ./pre-inst-env guix graph --type=bag-with-origins gcc-boot\
        | dot -Tsvg > bootstrap.svg

This should fail with

    checking for the correct version of gmp.h... no
    configure: error: Building GCC requires GMP 4.2+, MPFR 2.3.1+ and MPC
0.8.0+.
    Try the --with-gmp, --with-mpfr and/or --with-mpc options to specify
    their locations.  Source code for these libraries can be found at
    their respective hosting sites as well as at
    ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/infrastructure/.  See also

Note that mes-tcc also still fails some tests and that we run mescc on
Guile rather than on Mes because of severe Mes Scheme performance
issues.

Happy bootstrapping!
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com