guix-devel

Re: emacs-25.3 aborted

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: emacs-25.3 aborted
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 14:39:01 +0100

Hi,

Adonay Felipe Nogueira <address@hidden> skribis:

> There is a related item in help-guix ([1]), and there was an attempt made
> by me to get a backtrace and a strace --- although I still have to find
> out how to install debug symbols for GNU Emacs.
>
> As I replied there ([2]), it might be due to a change between
> 2017-10-10T08:25 BRT and 2017-10-30T16:27 BRST --- either in a Guix
> package definition or in the upstreams.
>
> I assume all packages are suspects, but I see that it might be an issue
> related to GTK+, or some related component that is present at build
> time.
>
> One could list commits from these dates by doing:
>
> git log --after="2017-10-10T08:25 BRT" --before="2017-10-30T16:27 BRST"
>
> Now we must test by making local copies of the possibly affected package
> definitions, reverting the commits, and building our Emacs locally.

There are 673 commits here.  Could you attempt a bisect, or manually
reduce the search space by trying out Emacs from earlier commits?

If you have a Guix checkout, just checkout a commit from, say,
Oct. 20th, run ‘make’, and check whether Emacs built from that commit
has the problem:

  guix environment --ad-hoc emacs -- emacs -Q

TIA!

Ludo’.