guix-devel

Library "libhilbert"

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Library "libhilbert"
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 17:06:12 +0100

Yann,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you found!

> I'm Yann, a PhD student in Computer Science, and I just saw a
> message from Tobias Geerinckx-Rice "Anyone using libhilbert?" :
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-08/msg00279.html

[moved:]

> I have the answer of the question he was asking on this thread. I
> was also searching for this implementation, and I have found the
> package on the web.>> Pierre de Buyl has written a blog post about it :
> http://pdebuyl.be/blog/2017/testing-hilbert.html And as you can read
> in the beginning of his article, he provides a git link for  this
> library : https://github.com/pdebuyl/libhilbert

Great. That post & repository were exactly what I was looking for, had
they been published a month earlier. Unfortunately, I found nothing and
libhilbert has since been removed form Guix.[0]

I'll e-mail my compatriot to ask if there's still an original tarball
about. I doubt that the original was signed or exhaustively audited, but
it would be nice to have more than Pierre's word that this is the exact
same code before I add it back.

> I tried to contact him via the button "reply via email" but it
> didn't work.

I clicked that same button under your archived post and it opened the
window I'm now typing in.

It's a form button that loads a 302 redirect to a mailto: link, so it's
probably easily broken by certain ‘privacy’ settings and assumes you
have a mail client associated with the mailto: protocol. Perhaps this is
not the case (if you're an avid webmail user, for example).

> I tried to google his name, which gave me a gmail address that
> didn't work neither. So I now write to the entire list, in hope that
> it will help.

That Gmail address was mandatory and got killed long ago.

I don't use Google & don't know how targeted their results are, but here
a quick Google search shows a badly anonymised version address on the
first page. I wish it didn't. I'd probably get less spam.

> Hope this helps (and maybe can you reply on the gnu list, so that in
> the future people searching for the library can find it with less
> time I spent),

Thanks again,

T G-R

[0]: Commit 9ce587f231419f5a2447fbf1b1ece1a4afc7af9d, if I remember
correctly.