guix-devel

Guix on macOS

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Guix on macOS
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 20:29:57 -0700

Hi Guix,

I want to get Guix working on macOS.  I recently had a need to do this,
and I was sad to find that although Nix works on macOS, Guix isn't quite
there yet.  The manual makes it sound like this should be fairly
straightforward, and I intend to give it a shot [1].  But before I
begin, I wanted to know: has anyone done this already?  Is there
interest?  I've checked the email lists, and I didn't find much
discussion about this.

I know a lot of developers who use macOS as their primary workstation,
and most of them use a combination of Homebrew [2] and manual
installation for package management.  It'd be great if Guix were easy to
use on macOS!  Not only is it the best package manager (of course! :-)),
but it would be a great way to encourage the use and growth of free
software among this group of people.

Additionally, if you're interested in helping out, please let me know.
To facilitate the work, I'm temporarily renting a Mac from MacStadium
[3] (it's just a weak little Mac Mini [4] for now), and it would be
trivial to give interested parties administrative access (via VNC and
SSH) to facilitate the work.

Footnotes:
[1]  info '(guix) Porting'

[2]  https://brew.sh/