guix-devel

Re: WIP gnu social package

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: WIP gnu social package
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 17:00:11 +0200

Hello,

nee <address@hidden> skribis:

> I made a package that builds the translations and installs gnu social
> into the store.

[...]

> Here is an example config: http://paste.lisp.org/display/356859

Really cool that we can set up a complex service like this with just a
few lines!

> Here are a bunch of issues I have with guixSD in general:
>
> - Setting up the database requires the sql root password, the new
>   social_db_user password, and a password for the first admin user to
>   create in gnu social.
>   Having plaintext passwords in /etc/config.scm sounds pretty bad.
>   I'm not sure what the solution here is.
>   - Could we add a password store to guix? It could automatically
>     generate passwords and pass them to services.
>   - Should I generate a script that must be run manually and asks for
>     password input through stdin?
>   - Something else?

For this particular case, I would do nothing: the first time, the
service wouldn’t start (I guess).  Users would have to explicitly set
the passwords on the command line, and then run “herd start gnu-social”.

> - The password of the database-user ends up in the config.php which is
>   generated by mixed-text-file. This file can be read by everyone. Can I
>   somehow set the owner on it and remove the reading rights from other
>   users?

No, the store is world-readable.  If there are secrets, they should be
stored elsewhere, but there’s currently no standard way to do that in
Guix.

Thanks for sharing, and sorry for the late reply!

Ludo’.