guix-devel

Re: LibreOffice Fonts

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: LibreOffice Fonts
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 18:57:07 -0400

ng0 <address@hidden> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès transcribed 1.8K bytes:
>> Hello Tom,
>>
>> Tom Balzer <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>> > Recently I installed libreoffice in my user profile, and found that all
>> > menus require the package 'font-gnu-freetype-ttf' in order to render
>> > correctly. Without this package, every character was rendered as a
>> > rectangle indicating a missing font.
>>
>> Every character in the body of the text, or every character in the UI?
>>
>> > From the manuals description of 'propagated-inputs', it seems like
>> > this font package would fit the use case:

>> > I asked on #guix, and one argument against including fonts in propagated
>> > inputs is to avoid packaging the font when 'pack'ing for another
>> > system. This to me is really an argument for including the fonts, since
>> > there is no guarantee that the other system is 'rational', so to
>> > speak. To create totally portable packages I would think including this
>> > font required to render the menus would make sense.
>>
>> I think it’s a borderline case.  In a sense, the font is additional
>> material used as input by LO (and indeed LO is much less useful without
>> it, but it’s still LO), though I can also understand the other argument.
>>
>> My current inclination would be the status quo.  Otherwise we’d have to
>> worry about fonts and artwork for Abiword, Inkscape, etc. as well.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Ludo’.
>>

> What about an fontcache-service that basically
> is mcron running daily "fc-cache -f"
> or even "fc-cache -fr"?

Is there no way to provide it the way it should, i.e. as a
profile hook? I understand the issue that the cache generated would be
read-only, but that cache would be in the system and users running
fc-cache themselves would produce cache in their $HOME, so I don't
immediately see an issue there (other than I haven't had time yet to
look into it -- it's on my TODO).

Maxim