guix-devel

Re: Scope of support for Guix on other distros

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Scope of support for Guix on other distros
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 21:30:18 +0200

Hi David,

On Mon, Oct 02, 2017 at 11:18:12AM +0200, David Seaward wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> To what extent is support for other distros a priority for the Guix
> project? In other words, explicitly planning to make Guix available as
> an alternate installation source on non-Guix-SD distros.
>
> The reason I ask is that cross-distro installers are increasingly
> popular (for example, Flatpak and Snappy) but none of them (currently)
> provide a central repository that is guaranteed free. [1][2] It
> occurred to me that Guix could function as an "app store" (repository)
> as well as a distro.

Some deja vu ;). And if they don't have the isolation that Guix has
these package managers will break. They all do.

> As well as supporting the Guix package manager on other distros, I'd
> guess this would also require integration with PackageKit / GNOME
> Software. [3]

It would only take Debian to accept Guix as a first class citizen.
Less odd then it looks, because they also allow cpan and what not.
But, so far, they have rejected inclusion of the Guix package manager.

> Or is this kind of thinking out-of-scope for the Guix/Guix SD project
> as it stands today?

Guix works perfectly as a package manager on another distro, as long
as you have root. Many people do that here. I agree that we could
present that better to the outside world.

Pj.