guix-devel

Re: Adopt a patch!

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Adopt a patch!
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 07:21:55 +0200

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 07:52:32PM +0530, Arun Isaac wrote:
> Just thinking out loud: Maybe, we need more people with commit
> access. Theoretically, anyone can review a patch, but ultimately it is
> people with commit access who will have to finally apply and push the
> patch. As the rate of submission of patches grows, this increases the
> work load on those with commit access.

Yes. We do need to think of scaling up even if it is not perceived a
direct problem now. The faster the turn around, the better it is for
submitters and therefore the project.

I think if we agreed that NO one can push their own commits directly
into master/gnu/packages and expand the number of committers greatly
(anyone who has successfully submitted a non-trivial package without
real comment) we can ask more people to look over the patch list. It
ain't that hard. And if someone misbehaves just revert on commit
access.

Some people may turn out to be very active when they get the chance.

Take a look at C4.1. Another Guix hacker pointed me to it about a year
ago. There are some solid ideas here:

http://hintjens.com/blog:93

I agree with Hintjens (who was btw one of the original FOSDEM
organizers) that the more dynamic a project becomes the more
contributions it will attract.

Keep experimenting - we can always revert on ideas. That is my motto.

Pj.

PS debbugs was a great step forward already.