guix-devel

My experiences with partitioning according to the manual

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: My experiences with partitioning according to the manual
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 10:18:29 +0200

Hi,

I tried installing GuixSD on a fresh (virtual) machine and found that
the instructions about partitioning the hard-disk are quite confusing.

I'm not sure if it's worth, updating the manual, since the graphical
installer may be here soon. But I want to share my experience to show
that we strongly need the graphical installer :-)

  *

    The first example is of a partitioning program is "cfdisk". I do non
    know this program, tried it and failed terrible. cfdisk seems to
    expect some script (huh?) to execute.

  *

    The first step in the instructions should be to (optionally)
    initialize the partition table (for the case this is a fresh disk).

        Should this a GPT partition table?

      o Which commands to issue?
      o        parted mklabel gpt
  *

    How to align the first partition (with parted)?

  *

    How big should the boot partition be? Mine seems to have been too
    small, so I got warnings when formatting as FAT32.

  * FMPOV for the users it would be easier to have a list of commands to
    issue, like this:

# parted /dev/sda
mkpart primary fat32 1024s 20MB
mkpart primary ext2 20MB 100%
set 1 esp on
name 1 boot
name 2 my-root
quit

# mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda1
# mkfs.ext4 -L my-root /dev/sda2

My next step will be to try out the graphical installer.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | address@hidden               |