guix-devel

binary substitutes distribution via gnunet-fs - quick update

From: ng0
Subject: binary substitutes distribution via gnunet-fs - quick update
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 13:24:11 +0000

The original GSoCs on this topic are a long way back now, and my
last message on this topic when I started to pick it up was more
than one year ago.

So where am I, with all of this? Obviously at the very least I had
the reality check that it takes a long time when it's done right.
I can't give an update on how our (infotropique collective) approach
differs from the past attempts, I should be able to do so over the
course of this semester (financial worries and soon university and
other things keep me busy).
Some people have joined me since I documented the efforts under a
collective name (infotropique), and it also developed beyond just this:

 - 1. gnunet-fs binary substitutes distribution
 - 2. gnunet-fs as a a secure data storage (in early design)
 - 3. reusable blueprint of a system based on GuixSD
 - 4. exploration of liquidfeedback integration
 - and more (integration of GNUnet, etc, etc (I'm not a fan of
   bullet points and good summaries right now)).

I had the logical development from "one goal" to "many goals"
because of the social and political implications which are
attached to the many branches of this project.

In spoken word I know how to describe the goals and intentions
of infotropique and how it's attached to GNUnet, Guix, etc.
Written words are fixed, so I'm still working on the best
presentation.

So where are we right now?

 - 1: The December '16 - now has been rough to me, so I'm now
      assembling from physical papers (bad habbits die hard..)
      and emails the way forward. At least one person has joined
      me with explicit wish to work on this.
      Some work has been done in debugging GNUnet and contributing
      towards the next release. Guix service needs to be debugged.
      We will very likely only test against HEAD as having almost
      4 years difference and the fixed bugs is just too much to
      justify support of 0.10.1 with the work on a gnunet service
      for GuixSD. At least that's my personal opinion, in general
      the service should have no opinion on the version of
      GNUnet.

 - 3: Mostly the base and theory + roadmap/goals is done and it is
      simply stuck at autotools and documentation right now (which
      in turn need time).
      Recently some ideas have been introduced to me which could
      be solved in Guix.
      Furthermore one basic idea related to the way of final
      distribution has to be addressed within Guix once we
      are at the point where "make dist" produces enough
      material to justify a release candidate.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588