guix-devel

Re: Combining Guix, direnv and Emacs for environment customisation

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Combining Guix, direnv and Emacs for environment customisation
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 15:52:13 +1000

On Tue, Aug 29 2017, David wrote:
> There is a feature missing in 'guix environment': saving the resulting
> profile for easy access later.  I often want to build an environment
> once and not update it for awhile, but with the current state of 'guix
> environment' it's not possible. This leads me to pulling my hair out
> when I do an upgrade of Guix and have to rebuild all of my development
> environments. What was supposed to be a quick hack turns into a Guix
> maintenance session.

I also got frustrated by this when trying to keep my own checkout of
guix. Then I found out you can do this:

  guix environment guix --root=environment

This puts a link to the environment under `environment` in the local
directory. Then you can run `source environment/etc/profile; make` to
rebuild guix. This also protects the environment from garbage
collection, which was the actual problem I was trying to solve.

Carlo