guix-devel

Re: Using IPFS to host mirrors of source packages

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Using IPFS to host mirrors of source packages
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 09:17:54 +0000

ng0 transcribed 2.6K bytes:
> Ludovic Courtès transcribed 0.6K bytes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:
> >
> > > By hosting source packages on IPFS they become content addressable and
> > > should scale for downloads. It would also become a safe way of
> > > distributing data.
> > >
> > > https://github.com/ipfs/ipfs
>
> I hope that you are aware that this isn't that safe.
> As an intermediate solution it is okay. It is similar to providing
> torrents. It works, but everyone wants the easy way, the
> easy solution which works $now.

Eh, let me revise that. It is safe, but IPFS solves different problems
than GNUnet. They are doing good work nevertheless.
I just think that putting work into something entirely different is
pointless, from where I stand. If everyone who complained about certain
things would work on them just a bit, we'd move faster. But hey, that's
life. Just a check on wether we'll have IPFS and GNUnet some day or
if I should just consider working on it completely on my own now as
you consider GNUnet doomed (or something).