guix-devel

Re: revert perl-5.26.0 update?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: revert perl-5.26.0 update?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 09:22:48 +0000

On July 27, 2017 12:03:50 PM GMT+03:00, address@hidden wrote:
>Hi Efraim,
>
>Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> There's a lot of perl related build failures. Maybe it would be
>better
>> to revert the perl update and work on updating perl and all the perl
>> modules separately. It seems to me that there are a large number of
>perl
>> packages that haven't been updated in quite some time.
>
>Reverting is not an option at this point IMO.  There are several
>Date::*
>modules required by Biber that FTBFS and need an update, indeed, but I
>think we should rather find a way to fix them (I spent a bit of time on
>it but then moved on to something else.)
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Ludo’.

A quick run on my computer showed 523 packages that start with 'perl-',
apparently all but one build on master but about 90 fail on core-updates. A
bunch have newer versions upstream, which would involve packaging some new Perl
modules also. It doesn't sound too bad, I don't think too many have hundreds of
dependants so we should be able to get through it.