guix-devel

Re: FW: [oss-security] accepting new members to (linux-)distros lists

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: FW: [oss-security] accepting new members to (linux-)distros lists
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 15:38:10 -0400

On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 01:33:05PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> > The real question is about our commitment to contribute back.
> > Presumably only one or two of us would be on that list, so they would
> > largely have that responsibility individually, even if the rest of us
> > could of course help out as far as the embargo etc. permits.
> >
> > Long story short, I would be super happy if you or Mark were on that
> > list.
> >
> > How do you feel about it?
>
> It might be that joining linux-distros is the right thing to do, but I
> don't have the spare capacity to contribute back at this time.  Also, I
> have mixed feelings about promising to keep security flaws a secret for
> however long I'm asked to do so (which apparently exceeded the time
> specified in the mailing list rules for Stack Clash).  I'm not yet
> prepared to make such a promise.

I also don't have the time to contribute back to the linux-distros list
at the level required in the list membership criteria.

The work I do for Guix is my best effort and I think it's understood
that, as a volunteer, there will be times when I am unavailable. My
job's schedule is irregular and has to take precedence.

On the other hand, it seems like the linux-distros mailing list
community is trying to formally assign tasks for members to fulfill for
the benefit of their community.

Currently, I can't commit to doing any task by myself for the entire
Linux distro community. Also, I don't think there is anybody on the list
who knows me and could vouch for me alone.

If there were another Guix member who could split the task, and had
someone to vouch for them, that could make it possible. But based on the
replies in the last 10 days, it doesn't seem to be the case.