guix-devel

Re: Haskell updates?

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: Haskell updates?
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 18:42:54 +0200

Mekeor Melire <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> is anyone working on Haskell updates?  Looks like we have some catching
>> up to do.
>
> I'm not working on it, but I'm willing to join. How do we want to
> proceed? What's the plan? What's the strategy?
>
> We have a stackage-importer now, right? Can't we just import all packages from
> stackage-lts?

Hi,

as far as I'm aware there is not formal specification of the Cabal file
format.  For this reason, when I was working on the Hackage importer, I
extracted as much information as I could from the user guide and from a
set of Cabal files belonging to specific projects.  Later, when I added
the Stackage importer I tested it with 'refresh' and noticed that some
packages are not properly imported.  All this to say that, to follow the
above route, the Hackage importer will need some love.  I believe that
it shouldn't be difficult to fix the errors that I've seen (for example,
I remember seeing a file using a capital 'IF' upsetting the importer),
but I have no plans to do so.

> What about the idea, developed by Federico Beffa and Troy Sankey at
>
>     https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-02/msg00226.html
>
> , to create a package ghc-all-cabal-files as implicit dependency of those
> ghc-*
> packages which are listed in
>
>     https://github.com/commercialhaskell/all-cabal-files/tree/hackage
>
> ? Federico, Troy, are you working on this? Unfortunately, both of you
> seem to got pretty inactive lately, AFAICS.

I'm not working on it.

On the subject: I've recently seen some discussions about Cabal files
revisions in the Haskell community
<https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2017-June/127358.html>

Regards,
Fede