guix-devel

Re: Upgrading packages with substitutes only (bug #26608)

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Upgrading packages with substitutes only (bug #26608)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 10:25:47 -0700

> In the future I was also thinking that the build farm could tag Git
> commits that it has fully built, and thus ‘guix pull’ could be told to
> pull to the latest fully-built commit.

I like this quite a bit. In fact, this is more in the spirit of what I
want from “--only-substitutes” anyway. With that in mind, I will
probably just use the following. Maybe this is what other people want
from “--only-substitutes” as well. (Warning: major kludge.)

Here’s a script to scrape the most recent evaluated commit hash from
Hydra. I’ll call it “hydra-latest.sh”.

    #!/bin/sh

    curl -L 'https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/master/latest-eval' \
        | grep -oe '<td>[0-9a-f]\{40\}</td>' \
        | sed 's/<\/\?td>//g';

Then, whenever I want to upgrade my system:

    $ cd guix-latest
    $ git pull && git checkout $(sh hydra-latest.sh)

I guess it doesn’t make sense if you have many different substitute
servers, though. Otherwise, adding this kind of feature to “git pull”
would be ideal.

With respect to “--only-substitutes”, I’m not sure I have need for it
anymore. I’m still happy to write it up if other people want it. Let me
know.

-- Tim