guix-devel

Re: ld-wrapper and funny bytes in LIBRARY_PATH

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: ld-wrapper and funny bytes in LIBRARY_PATH
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 10:19:35 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 00:21:28 +0200
address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > so I'm trying to enable Rust tests and one of their tests does the
> > following (paraphrased) in order to exercise the non-UTF8 linker case
> > (which they want to succeed):

> > bad_dir := zzz$$'\xff'
> >
> > all:
> >         mkdir $(bad_dir)
> >     cp ... $(bad_dir)/liblibrary.a
> >     LIBRARY_PATH=$(bad_dir) rustc exec.rs
> >
> > This fails for us.
>
> So they expect ‘ld’ to properly deal with UTF-8 file names, right?

I think they want ld to properly deal with random file names.  0xFF is not even
valid UTF-8.

See also:
- https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/29122 (initial bug report)
- https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/29134 (pull request)
-
https://github.com/wthrowe/rust/commit/19664fdf8d1b8fc5fd3b359c2440625b2b4d8cec
(test)

> This is another instance of the file name decoding problem with Guile.
> As you know, Guile 2.0/2.2 decodes file names according to the current
> locale, and ‘ld-wrapper’ runs Guile.

Sigh...

Well, I've posted a patch to guix-patches that disables the Rust test in
question.  Can't do much else than that.

The other 15444 Rust tests work now :)