guix-devel

Re: What's next?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: What's next?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 22:48:31 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 12:16:45PM +0200, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
>> On GuixSD, the key of hydra.gnu.org and bayfront.guixsd.org are always
>> registered by default.  We cannot do that for someone installing Guix on
>> a foreign distro because that involves creating a file in /etc.
>
> Many installs are not on GuixSD. Can't we use the key that is stored
> in the store itself? If /etc does not exist then use what comes
> with the installation.

The current behavior is to print a warning when /etc/guix/acl (the list
of authorized keys) is empty or nonexistent.

Your suggestion would be to automatically populate it, right?

I’m mildly reluctant to that, because we’d stealthily force every user
into trusting our substitute servers.  OTOH I agree that the current
situation is not optimal.

What do people think?

Ludo’.