guix-devel

Re: GuixSD bootable ISO-9669 image

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: GuixSD bootable ISO-9669 image
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 23:25:07 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Fri, 12 May 2017 17:33:21 +0200
address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
> Then users should pick the right one, usually the macro, and get an
> error when they pass an invalid UUID.

Note that the directory /dev/disk/by-uuid doesn't contain any marker about what
kind of uuid it is. So it would make things complicated for the user.

I wouldn't expect anyone that isn't a programmer to know that fat32 uuids are
different from btrfs uuids.

If we have different uuid macros, we should have *-uuid macros for *every*
possible filesystem type, whether the uuids differ or not - at least then
there's a pattern for the user to learn.  Not like 3 macros and 14 filesystem
types so you'd have to have a mapping function in your head.

But really, I myself use uuids only for file-system entries to be bus
independent so I can plug known disks on whatever slot I want and they'll be
mounted at the same place regardless.  I guess another use case is for the Guix
LiveCD to find itself - for the same reason.  Not sure what the complication of
bytevectors, multiple macros etcetc buys us.  The user is probably copy&pasting
the uuid from /dev/disk/by-uuid anyway.  It's not like you type in uuids (ever).