guix-devel

Re: grub with qemu-kvm server fail

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: grub with qemu-kvm server fail
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 19:32:15 -0700

Hello ng0,

On April 19, 2017 5:14:13 PM PDT, ng0 <address@hidden> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I already contacted the hoster support, but maybe someone has an idea.
>
>Upon initing GuixSD from a minimal Debian base, I get stuck at this
>point
>about GRUB. The server is aparently a qemu -> kvm one.
>
>guix system: warning: while talking to shepherd: No such file or
>directory
>Installing for i386-pc platform.
>grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
>grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
>installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
>UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
>grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
>guix system: error: failed to install GRUB on device '/dev/vda'

What kind of device is /dev/vda?

It looks like grub is trying to install itself on an ext2 partition rather than
on the device itself (for old school dos partitions that would be in the MBR),
and apparently this is not supported. I think I had a similar problem when
installing on my personal computer with ext4; I think it was because I had
specified a numbered partition rather than the device itself (/dev/sda1 instead
of /dev/sda for example).

Maxim