guix-devel

Re: Progress and todos for Jave maven

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Progress and todos for Jave maven
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 17:38:18 +0200

Hi Hartmut,

great to hear these news on Java/mvn development! Thanks for taking the
time.

You posted half a year ago a series of patches that are not yet
integrated into Guix:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-09/threads.html#00774

Are they still worth integrating, or are they obsolete with your new
approach? I'm asking because Ricardo wanted to work on them two weeks
ago:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=+25925#16

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 13:28:55 +0200
Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> wrote:

> One package (googe guice) includes another ant-task which is delivered
> as a jar-file. Luckily this jar includes the source files, too, but
> there seems to be no source-repository for this ant-task.

I investigated this a bit:

Your are talking about munge, the task being defined in guice'
build.xml:

 <taskdef name="munge" classname="MungeTask"
 classpath="lib/build/munge.jar"/>

There is an old Blog post by Tom Ball about Munge's history:

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20070402043337/http://weblogs.java.net/blog/tball/archive/2006/09/munge_swings_se.html

Quoting from there: "it [Munge] wasn't a product, after all". That was
probably the main problem: They just used it internally at Sun, not too
much caring about source code and reproducibility.

Jesse Wilson made an Ant task out of it, described in this blog post:

https://publicobject.com/2009/02/preprocessing-java-with-munge.html

He writes: "If you're preprocessing some .java files and can use these
features, help yourself to our custom munge.jar[0]. The jar includes
both source and classfiles."

That means: You actually found the "repository" for Munge:

[0] http://google-guice.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/lib/build/munge.jar

The link is gone, because Google Code was shut down.

But the jar is still downloadable from archive.org:

https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20090221010131/https://google-guice.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/lib/build/munge.jar

It is bit-identical with the munge.jar from the current Guice
repository:

https://github.com/google/guice/blob/bf0d876bb767f45c5cfbed3929e2cf6acd7d061a/lib/build/munge.jar

having sha256 of:

fdc08ecce4dd71d3fcb2ff0db1061091a18a37c2c24af2e7566fcb7a8500b41c
munge.jar

The initial commit on the jar also says about the ant integration:

https://github.com/google/guice/commit/7c508c235dc7a3ec1c58a9f0600f6864279a29c3

"The stripping builds on Tom Ball's Munge.java program, with a few
alterations:
 - we're a bit more careful about handling /* in end-of-line comments
and Strings
 - I wrote an Ant task called MungeTask that supports munging an entire
fileset"

I also found a Git rebository for a Maven plugin for Munge:

https://github.com/sonatype/munge-maven-plugin

About your other Maven-questions, I will answer later this week.

Yours,

Björn