guix-devel

Re: Advice about GuixSD on Serveraptor?

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Advice about GuixSD on Serveraptor?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:22:43 -0500

Leo Famulari writes:

> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 08:32:52PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
>> I had wanted to use the GuixSD installer because the image format
>> conversion is reproducible. So, nobody would have to trust me to provide
>> the right thing.
>>
>> Of course, it would be a lot simpler if we made a barebones system with
>> `guix system vm-image`.
>>
>> If we can't use the installer, how should we create and provide another
>> image?
>
> Any advice or guidance?
>
> I can easily create an image to use for this, but I don't want to do it
> if others think I am going beyond the level of trust placed in me by the
> Guix project.

So, if you provided the source scheme to generate the image, and signed
the image, people would both have the option to generate the image
themselves, or download your signed binary image if they trust you?

Honestly, at this point the most important thing is to get things to the
point where we have *a* documented process to install GuixSD on these
servers; once we have that, and assuming we also have documentation /
tooling where people could reproduce the whole process (even if they
used the image you provided, as long as they could reproduce that step
too) I think we're in a much better state than we are... and we could
refine further from there.

My opinion, anyway!
 - Chris