guix-devel

Re: RFC: writable private scratch XDG_CACHE_HOME in build enviroment?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: RFC: writable private scratch XDG_CACHE_HOME in build enviroment?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:47:17 +0100

Hey hey!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> Guile will try to automatically compile .scm files and cache them in
> XDG_CACHE_HOME.  When building Guile itself, Guile sets XDG_CACHE_HOME
> to ${top_builddir}/cache.  What if we would set this ourselves for all
> packages?  That way all packages could benefit from a scratch location
> when building that wouldn't propagate to the outputs.

Among all our packages, only one (glib) defines XDG_CACHE_HOME in its
build process.  So I’d rather avoid defining it in gnu-build-system.

> In Fibers I have some tests that I assume get compiled.  If they're not
> compiled, they go quite slow (260s vs 5s).  Alternately I could add a
> XDG_CACHE_HOME setting in Fibers.  Which should we do?

What about changing Fibers to set XDG_CACHE_HOME upon ‘make check’?
This is a good way to ensure that the tests are indeed getting compiled,
and not specifically on Guix.

Cheers,
Ludo’.