guix-devel

Re: Introducing ‘guix pack’

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Introducing ‘guix pack’
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 00:03:22 +0100

>> What other use cases do you imagine?  Is the intent to make it easy to
>> deploy software (and the closure of its dependencies) to any place where
>> you either can't or don't want to install Guix first?
>
> The use case for ‘guix archive -f docker’ (which already exists; I’m
> just proposing to move it to ‘guix pack’) is when you’d like to pass
> software to someone who has Docker but not Guix:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-01/msg00048.html
>
> I think the impetus for Ricardo was when the Emacs folks were discussing
> of building Docker images of Emacs.  :-)

That’s right.

Another use-case would be to create executable bundles *without*
involving Docker.  All that’s needed is a tiny stand-alone wrapper that
takes care of spawning a container, mounting the pack in some way, and
running a specified application in the container.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net