guix-devel

Re: gnu-patches back log

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: gnu-patches back log
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 16:07:45 +0000

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 10:51:14AM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 02:45:51PM +0000, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> > OK. I was not planning to badger ;). Sometimes describing a problem
> > can be valuable.  Feel free to ignore.  We all have different itches
> > to scratch.  I'll shut up again.
>
> Okay, I really don't want you to shut up. As you say, we all have our
> own itches to scratch (my phrase is "motivation is not fungible"), and
> Guix should try to make use of everyone's energy.
>
> But I got the impression (probably mistaken) that you felt the
> committers / reviewers were choosing to spurn contributions, and it
> really bothered me. Like I said, many of us are giving as much time and
> energy as we can.

Yes, I don't think anyone is ducking responsibilities or work. I have
a huge appreciation for what everyone here is doing. Maybe I should
have been clearer. Even a one-line commit is a great contribution. And
then there are people who put thousands of lines in. It is awesome.
And then there are people contributing documentation. This is a
massive project in almost all dimensions.

Even so, packaging is no rocket science and it scales with people
contributing.  That is my starting point.

Pj.