guix-devel

Re: gnu-patches back log

From: ng0
Subject: Re: gnu-patches back log
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 14:16:14 +0000

On 17-03-01 11:17:15, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 11:42:29AM +0100, Andy Wingo wrote:
> > On Wed 01 Mar 2017 09:17, Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > I would like to ask the Guix mailing list members whether it is
> > > *acceptable* that a good looking patch has not been touched for two
> > > weeks. Like this one
> > >
> > >   https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25725
> >
> > FWIW -- I accept this situation.  I have limited bandwidth and can't do
> > everything and am not always in a very Guixy place.  If I felt that I
> > could not accept this, my life would be much worse -- stress, burnout,
> > etc.
>
> Last thing we want! And I do appreciate such concerns of every
> individual. We do, however, have some 30 people who can push to
> savannah:
>
>   https://savannah.gnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=guix
>
> and we have another even larger group of people without push rights
> who do not mind commenting on peers. Even today we should be able to
> distribute the load better.
>
> I am not asking you in particular, but everyone in general, if you
> feel like coaching one submission per week. That would take a load
> of work away from Ricardo and Ludo and improve speed dramatically.
>
> This is the first thing I am trying :). The main difference with the
> existing approach is that I want to have more engagement from fresh
> contributors who can also peer review. Review is an excellent way of
> learning. How exactly we are going to do this is not clear yet. But
> that is what I am thinking.
>
> Meanwhile I want to know what limits people actually have. I think 2
> weeks is not acceptable (but that should be obvious).
>
> Pj.
>
> --

What prevents me from doing reviews more regular is time and resources
management. I might not be the best person to call when you are hanging
on a rope over a pit on fire (so to speak) because I'm busy at all
fronts.
I did not ask a second time for push permissions because I don't really
like having many accounts and passwords to remember. If we had a
solution where you'd just pull from my git checkout a specific branch or
I would just have to send my ssh key in an OpenPG encrypted and signed
message, that's different than signing up at savannah.gnu.org just for
pasting my OpenPG + SSH key into the profile.
The trouble with volunteer work is scaling the management and problem
solving, and I think it's working out for Guix. Occasionally I get upset
about having to use email, but as long as there's nothing better around
I won't rant about it anymore. Debbugs is okay for now. I don't have to
send emails to point to emails because it's clear which bugs are open
and which are closed.
Debbugs doesn't assign bugs to people and all sorts of other solutions
you could have in other systems, but one step at a time.

We're having a long discussion about the right system to use with the
focus shifting and positions changing, and we try out solutions, realize
failures of solutions which have been attempted to use, and continue to
improve the situation, that's good.

I don't mind to wait. I think 5 weeks - 2 months is where I start to ask
wether anyone has an opinion about the patch.
I have services and patches I'm fixing since last September, but the
problem there is just the nature of the services and Guile still being
new to me, and some limitations of the qemu VM which can be spawned for
tests. It's slowing you down when you have to reconfigure a bare-metal
system just to find the right solution every time.
Especially gnunet-service I'm talking about here. I know I will find the
solution eventually because I'm willing to fix and debug, but it could
be easier with shepherd and the qemu VM.