guix-devel

Re: Leaving the guix project (rust question)

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Leaving the guix project (rust question)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 10:26:05 +0000

On 17-02-16 01:14:15, David Craven wrote:
> Hello guixers!
>
> I am very grateful for all the things I could learn during my time
> here and all the awesome work that you guys put in.
>
> But I wish to leave the guix project and that my savannah account be
> removed. This is not a decision I make lightly. The reason why I
> decided it was time to move on is because I do not wish to be part of
> GNU or the FSF.
>
> I believe that the reason why free software is better and will always
> be better than non-free software, is because of all the love and care
> that we put in. It's about building cool and awesome stuff. I think
> that this is the reason free software has become a viable alternative
> to non-free software.
>
> I also believe that the gnu project has moved away from those core
> values and focuses instead on petitioning websites and hardware
> manufacturers to release work they have invested a lot of money in
> developing, often in very pushy and uncivil ways. Even if they
> succeed, I do not really care about this expensive, rushed to market
> and badly engineered code. I believe that the free software community
> can do much better on it's own.
>
> I hope you can understand and respect my decision.
>
> David

Hi,

sorry to see you leave. Thanks for all your contributions and the time
shared with the project.

I have a question, were you working on some rust problems (circular
dependencies, etc) already and if so could you share the progress and
discussions with upstream which might've happened already at some
accessible place? That would be nice.