guix-devel

server and client in one package -> security issue (was: Add murmur)

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: server and client in one package -> security issue (was: Add murmur)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:23:09 +0100

Am 09.02.2017 um 23:50 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> I think the only reason to separate things usually is size, not
> “aesthetics.”  So I’d be in favor of keeping both in the same output if
> there’s no size problem.

Separating clients and servers is not an "aesthetic" thing. It's a
matter of security.

One basic rule for hardening systems is: "only install the required
software". If we munge server and clients packages, this obeys this rule.

In my day-business I'm a security consultant (CISSP, CSSLP  and ISO
27001 Lead Implementer). And from my point of view Guix already has a
medium problem of acceptance since it munges development-files and
run-time files into one package - as we do for all libraries. This
already contradicts the above mentioned basic rule.

Now if Guix starts munging server and client components into one
package, this plain disqualifies GuixSD from any security sensitive
system. [*]

[*] OTOH it opens up chances for big business: selling "Secure GuixSD"
to customers.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel