guix-devel

Re: Guix package incubator (later a channel)

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Guix package incubator (later a channel)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 20:59:46 +0000

On 17-02-07 20:38:58, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Hi Pjotr,
>
> during the panel on the Future of Guix we all agreed that there is a
> need to lower the barrier to entry for package submissions to Guix, so
> it is good to start a discussion about actionable steps we can take to
> make this happen.
>
> > After yesterday's FOSDEM discussion I propose to set up a 'Guix
> > incubator' git tree using Gitlab. The master branch will track the
> > main Guix master but project can run on forked trees and branches. The
> > idea is to have patches prepared by new committers or by people who
> > simply prefer to use a web-based git environment. Each of these trees
> > can become a guix channel - once we have channels to support that.
>
> During the panel we had a question from the audience about alternative
> tools, e.g. to allow a workflow that is not email-based.  While I can
> understand the desire to use a workflow that you may be used to from
> other projects (this goes both ways) there is a danger in establishing
> alternatives to the channels on which we accept contributions.
>
> At this point in the evolution of Guix we have many more contributors
> than people who can mentor the contributors, polish their patches for
> inclusion upstream, or provide constructive comments.  Having so many
> people contribute is great!  But it also means that we need to be
> careful with our limited number of mentors.
>
> I see two possible outcomes of establishing an additional “incubator”
> repository: it might fragment our review community as some people will
> try to upstream incubator patches and others handle mailing list
> patches; another outcome is that the incubator never gets accepted by
> reviewers and mentors because it is more work, leading to growing
> parallel infrastructure and second-class code.  Neither of these
> outcomes is desirable in my opinion.
>
> > It won't hamper the normal process since ready patches still get
> > compiled and submitted through the mailing list (ML). In fact it may
> > help scale the review process by getting peer reviewers involved. The
> > idea is that we have an incubator environment before the ML which
> > allows for playful learning and tracking of patches that may (or may
> > not) make it into main line. I think it is very important to have a
> > low barrier to entry when it comes to submitting package recipes.
>
> I appreciate your desire to reduce the work load of reviewers/mentors on
> the mailing list.  I have some doubts about whether this approach would
> be feasible, though.  There already *are* external repositories outside
> of Guix, either implemented to be used with GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH (such as
> your own “genenetwork/guix-bioinformatics” repo or the MDC’s
> “guix-bimsb”) or as forks of Guix (e.g. public versions of what most
> Guix developers do locally to add packages).  I have not seen any
> concerted efforts to upstream package definitions from either of these
> classes of repositories.

> [...]

The here mentioned debbugs solution would work now and it would have
an immediate
effect. I really welcome this solution as a first step to try out
alternatives and I would make use of it.

Regarding the approach Pjotr suggested: would it be like
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Github ( See also:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Github#See_also ) ?

I do share the voiced concerns - there are little reviewers, and while the
situation with reviews is bad it is really a people problem. Tools can
improve access for newcomers, but they won't fix the reviewers > patches
ratio.

Here are further ideas to motivate newcomers:
We regulary get questions on HOW to start and WHAT to use (for
contributing) etc. Okay,
improving upstream documentation would be ideal, but until then we can
have a better "get started contributing to Guix" section, and maybe a
link on the website to this (we already kind of have), Encourage to read
the open bugs (point to a "low hanging fruits" list of bugs and things
to do around Guix), and even more get people to review through
encouragment and ...stuff... (kind words, etc etc).

Goodnight!

--
ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/