guix-devel

Re: “Future of Guix” panel

From: ng0
Subject: Re: “Future of Guix” panel
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 13:29:31 +0000

On 17-02-03 05:44:25, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> It looks good.  We won't run out of topics for sure. :)
>
> Pjotr Prins writes:
>
> > Heh. Long list.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 12:11:15AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> >> Hello Guix!
> >>
> >> We’ll close FOSDEM with a discussion on the future of Guix and GuixSD:
> >>
> >>   https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/futureofguix/
> >>
> >> Attached is a semi-structured list of topics that came to mind.  Please
> >> feel free to bring your own, either at the event (this Sunday), or on
> >> this list, or on IRC during the event maybe?
> >>
> >> Ludo’.
> >>

> >> #+TITLE: Future of Guix (panel)
> >> #+STARTUP: content hidestars
> >>
> >> https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/futureofguix/
> >> Sunday, 16:30, K.4.601
> >>
> >> * Organization
> >>
> >> ** sharing the work load
> >>
> >> *** security updates
> >>
> >> *** build farm
> >>
> >> *** web site, posts, videos, etc.
> >>
> >> *** handling branches: starting & merging ‘core-updates’, ‘staging’
> >>
> >> *** release management: setting a date, choosing what goes in, publishing
> >>
> >> *** GSoC mentoring
> >>
> >> ** review
> >>
> >> *** getting more reviewers
> >>
> >> *** facilitating the process
> >>
> >> *** encouraging newcomers
> >>
> >> ** funding
> >>
> >> *** development
> >>
> >>   - how do we get core & maintenance work funded?
> >>   - how do we get funding for new areas (like ‘guix deploy’)?
> >>
> >> *** infrastructure (build farm)
> >>
> >>   - sustaining infrastructure growth and maintenance
> >>   - Jan. 2016 crowdfunding was enough for a start
> >>
> >> * Publicity, outreach
> >>
> >> ** high-performance computing (HPC)
> >>
> >> *** competition: EasyBuild, Spack, Singularity, Shifter
> >>
> >> *** stories: MDC, Utrecht, Brisbane
> >>
> >> *** possible cooperation in the near future
> >>
> >> ** reproducible science
> >>
> >> *** how to help projects such as
> >> [[https://rescience.github.io/][ReScience]]?
> >>
> >> *** make reproducible free software stacks the obvious choice
> >>
> >> ** containers, deployment
> >>
> >> *** competition: Docker, Kubernetes, NixOps
> >>
> >> *** stories: gov.uk (Chris Baines), bayfront.guixsd.org
> >>
> >> ** hold Guix User Gatherings (GUGs)?

Interesting thought. I am sitting (mentally) on the idea of writing
about / weaving together tools of liquid democracy (for example
'liquidfeedback') with free software projects and growing communities.
This is beyond simple guix user gatherings though.
I'm interested in what you present/talk about with this 'GUG' point.

--
ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/