guix-devel

Re: Services: gnunet. (require help)

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Services: gnunet. (require help)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:53:56 +0000

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Compared to OpenRC and systemd, shepherd guixsd-specific services
>> sometimes have an high learning curve.
>
> Honest question: why do you think that?  With feedback from a fresh
> perspective like yours, maybe we could think of ways to lower the
> learning curve.
>
> --
> Chris

I will try and reflect on OpenRC in a while and compare it to
Guix-specific Shepherd (I don't know generic shepherd yet).

For now all I can say is that it's exciting and motivating to
learn a language and grammar which is usable outside of package
definitions or service definitions.
Guile's way to print errors makes it hard, that's one thing.
Another thing is, strange enough, the freedom. You have some
rules you have to obey, but beyond that you can express what you
want. OpenRC, if I remember correctly, was more strict about how
you compose things (but then again last time I wrote something
for Gentoo OpenRC (not even downstream OpenRCs) was the guix
daemon service and that was awful enough to promote it as
fundamentally broken (openrc gnunet service was easier and
worked).

Comparing side by side or in reflection will be easier.
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/