guix-devel

Re: hplip: Add qt5 gui, try to fix policykit support

From: Andy Patterson
Subject: Re: hplip: Add qt5 gui, try to fix policykit support
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 16:56:36 -0500

Hey ng0,

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 14:05:51 +0000
ng0 <address@hidden> wrote:

> I really have no idea how hplip is supposed to be used in Guix after
> reading the note about the base service. So we are not supposed to
> run and install it as users in profiles? Will it be in the cups
> service where I would have no idea how to add it in there?

I've been printing with an hp for a little while now, and in my system
configuration I have this:

(service cups-service-type
         (cups-configuration
          (web-interface? #t)
          (extensions
           (list cups-filters hplip))))

Maybe you've already done that, but I'm just guessing based on what you
wrote.

I've found that with that configuration, all of hplip's ppd files show
up when adding the printer via the web interface (which is how I added
my printer). hp-setup also seems to work ok, and will auto-detect your
ppd file, but can't print out the test page.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

--
Andy