guix-devel

Re: Graphical Installer - Call for Testing.

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Graphical Installer - Call for Testing.
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 09:05:44 +0100

On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 09:18:39PM -0500, myglc2 wrote:

     >      1) Add a user configuration menu/form?
     >
     > That should be fairly straightforward.  But I wonder if it wouldn't be
easier for
     > people to add them after the system is installed and run guix system
     > reconfigure ?

     I agree user management is downstream of the install. But in practice I
     need an "admin" user with sudo/su to manage a headless server. Otherwise
     I would have to allow login to root over ssh or use the console.

     So in practice all I do at the console is provide root and admin
     passwords.  If you made it easy to create a single admin user that would
     be very handy. The debian install does this.

Yeah and in debian one cannot avoid but add a user.  And to me this is annoying
since all my clients are LDAP managed so after I have installed a client, the
first thing I do is to delete the user which I was forced to create.

But I will add a page to add users before the "real thing" is released, but
it will be a strictly optional step.

     BTW, I see you followed the doc and set ...

     (lsh-service #:port-number 2222)

     ... for the Headless server.  I don't think this is desirable. The user
     will want to ssh into their nice new headless GuixSD server and this
     non-standard port is sure to shoot novice users in the foot.

Yes, I wonder what the rationale for this port number was?

     > Perhaps we could add a page which would allow users to add arbitrary
packages
     > to the system profile.

     That would be very nice.  FWIW, I attach a recent system config to
     illustrate some packages that I would find useful.

I'll also add a  "Select additional packages for system profile" page, but
again it'll  be an optional step.

     >      This time I tried to set up the HD from scratch. I successfully
deleted
     >      old partitions and created new partitions. It was not clear how
much I
     >      needed to know (e.g., do I need to mark a partition bootable?)
     >
     > Since I'm currently just execing cfdisk,  I don't have much control
     > over that.

     My point is that we probably need to provide very basic guidance as
     regards the minimum buttons a user need to push to get the system up.
     Maybe this could be in a sidebar on the relevant screens?

I will think about how that could perhaps be done.

     just couldn't figure out how to get back to the main thread and complete
     the install. Was I missing something?  Or this is a bug?

Probably both.  If you couldn't figure something out, then it's a bad user
interface.  I'll re-think that bit of it.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3