guix-devel

Re: No more space left on device issue

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: No more space left on device issue
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 22:48:34 +0100

Hello Maxim!

Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Indeed, it’s low on free inodes.  :-)
>>
>> That said, 37 G is not that much (my laptop’s root partition, which
>> includes the store, is 64 G, and I expect most users are in this
>> ballpark).
>
> I understand that my partition size is not very large; This is a 2011
> era laptop with a 64 GB SSD. Although quite dated and behind todays'
> standard, it's useful in exposing the limits of the software faster ;).

Right; what I meant is that 37 G shouldn’t cause any problems because
it’s relatively small.

> What I don't understand is why the all the inodes are used at only 71%
> of disk usage (11GB left!). There's not much else than Guix there; I
> have a documents folder (700 MB with 4k files) and some git
> repositories (2.6 GB, 38k files), but that's it.

Not sure, I don’t know of inode usage profiling tools.

Does running “guix gc” help?

> Assuming that the problem is related to the Guix store being very
> file/link intensive and that the Hydra servers deplete their inodes at a
> similar ratio, that would lead to their 1.5 TB EXT4 filesystem being
> more like 1 TB of usable storage.

[...]

> I guess we can't really compare ext3 and ext4. We'd need a filesystem
> versed person to shed some light here. I'd be more interested to know if
> the Hydra servers can (nearly) max their ext4 filesystem without running
> out of inodes.

FWIW, on hydra.gnu.org we have this:

$ df -i /gnu/store
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/xvda1           98304000 6864127 91439873    7% /
$ df -h /gnu/store
/dev/xvda1            1.5T  521G  881G  38% /

On mirror.hydra.gnu.org:

$ df -i /gnu/store
Filesystem               Inodes    IUsed    IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg0-store 100663296 10988332 89674964   11% /gnu
$ df -h /gnu/store
Filesystem             Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg0-store  1.5T  1.4T  103G  93% /gnu

Ludo’.