guix-devel

Re: New python build system merged

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: New python build system merged
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 15:41:39 -0500

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 06:30:22PM +0100, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Fair point, but results on hydra seem to be quite unreliable. So I
> though this is okay, since Ludo asked me to merge ASAP. maybe I
> misunderstood the exact meaning. And have been too impatient.

Yes, the Hydra interface can be confusing, and the CI server itself can
fail in suprising or spurious ways, as you saw with xorg-server...

> Some errors I checked are like this one:
>
> @ build-succeeded
> /gnu/store/nzjcl8aviiz4643n13nn5vxfn540x1xb-xorg-server-1.18.4.drv -
> guix build: error: failed to create GC root
> `/home/hydra/offload-20121227-hydra.gnu.org-8762': File exists
> /gnu/store/j2pj0lhwwd430y5vfc6whrr5p4fc2b5m-xorg-server-1.18.4

I think the vast majority of the "failed" packages are a result of this
failure. But, I got a substitute for that package from a master branch
HEAD today, so I think it's not a "real" failure. I asked Hydra to redo
that build.

> Or even like this one
> <https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1645638/nixlog/1/tail-reload>, which fail
> with no visible error:
>
> @ build-succeeded /gnu/store/i4dl6i1rz6pvcqhh5g70vqhbpa0nkswj-swig-3.0.5.drv -
> /gnu/store/89rx3gby3b8f732alz3yrm0s78s0nnb8-swig-3.0.5

I noticed this on the python-build-system evaluation, and I restarted it
since it seemed like a spurious failure. I can get a substitute for it,
so I think it's okay, now.

> So hydra seems to have some problem, which makes it really hard to track
> down issues.

Yes, it's true. And since none of us are motivated to hack on it so far,
we'll probably put up with it until the new Hydra replacement server,
bayfront, is operational. The official ETA is "Real Soon" [0] ;)

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-11/msg01253.html