guix-devel

Re: Adding rottlog service in ‘%base-services’?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Adding rottlog service in ‘%base-services’?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 17:03:58 +0200

David Craven <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Should we add rottlog-service and thus mcron-service to
>> ‘%base-services’?  Is log rotation a basic feature that people expect?
>> WDYT?
>
> Why not. There's two sorts of people. The ones that don't care/know
> will be happy when things just work and the ones that care/know are
> probably defining their own %base-services anyway...

Yeah so I think ‘%base-services’ is bound to remain pretty much the same
forever.

And what about adding it to ‘%desktop-services’?  This one is clearly
for people who expect things to work out of the box.

>> If we do so, we would need to document a way to add mcron jobs from the
>> ‘operating-system’ declaration.  People would no longer be able to write
>> something like this in the ‘services’ field.
>
> Mmh... If we do something like this we shouldn't call it mcron-jobs,
> otherwise we'll have the same problems like with grub - where all
> variables are named grub or grub? or grub.cfg. How about just calling
> it jobs?

Not sure I understand the problem.  ‘mcron-jobs’ wouldn’t collide with
anything else AFAICS, and it would be clearer than just ‘jobs’ no?

So related question: putting ‘mcron-service’ in ‘%base-services’?  It
would be a no-op in the absence of job specifications.

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.