guix-devel

Adding rottlog service in ‘%base-services’?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Adding rottlog service in ‘%base-services’?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:24:37 +0200

Hello Guix!

Should we add rottlog-service and thus mcron-service to
‘%base-services’?  Is log rotation a basic feature that people expect?
WDYT?

If we do so, we would need to document a way to add mcron jobs from the
‘operating-system’ declaration.  People would no longer be able to write
something like this in the ‘services’ field:

  (service mcron-service-type
           (mcron-configuration (jobs (list job1 job2 …))))

Instead, they’d write something like:

  (mcron-jobs (list job1 job2 …))

where:

  (define (mcron-jobs jobs)
    (simple-service 'user-mcron-jobs mcron-service-type jobs))

Thoughts?

Ludo’.