guix-devel

Re: question about license of unofficial translation of GPL as a sample

From: ng0
Subject: Re: question about license of unofficial translation of GPL as a sample text in dbacl (Re: notmuch users: how do you filter debbugs?)
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 13:28:52 +0000

> [ Unknown signature status ]
> The GPL itself is not Free (!)
>
> It's license is:
>
>  "Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
>   of this license document, but changing it is not allowed."
>
> PLUS some extra permissions regarding translation which are
> given at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/translations.html
>
> Note that these extra permissions come with a number of conditions,
> including:
>
>  "The translation is not hosted on a commercial site."
>
> So this means that if the package includes japanse.txt nobody can
> make a commercial version of our hydra repository.  I think this
> would be a restriction which we don't want to impose.  Hence, I
> thing the decision to remove japanese.txt is correct.

Okay, I agree with this.
I don#t know how much is expected (from the test suite), but couldn't we
just delete the content and replace it with

# original sample text removed by Guix due to legal problems
こんにちは世界

or something like that, hopefully double checked by someone who actually
knows the language - for me it's been a 'todo' for years now :/

That would still enable the test to parse some text.