guix-devel

Re: Network with QEMU generated image (guix system vm)?

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Network with QEMU generated image (guix system vm)?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 12:42:47 +0000

David Craven <address@hidden> writes:

>> It should be enough to add “-net user” on the run-vm.sh command line
>> (info "(guix) Running GuixSD in a VM"), and then having a DHCP client
>> run inside the VM, such as ‘dhcp-client-service’.
>
> Ah, yes this probably needs some documentation. Also should include an
> explanation why the flag isn't added by default and how to connect to
> a ssh server running in the vm.
>
>> Currently I can't ping
>
> You can't ping a vm anyway since it emulates the TCP/UDP layers I
> think and no ICMP. [0]
>
> [0]
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/78953/qemu-how-to-ping-host-network

The solutions they describe in the stackexchange answers are some of
those "simple" solutions which look even more "simple" to apply on
GuixSD than on other systems, like every "simple" solution you find
somewhere.

What I mean is, I expect this feature (tcp connections in/out to/from
"the internet" to vm) to work in guix system vm, as it is a normal
expectation coming from NixOS and Gentoo that it just works without any
added specialities.

As I don't want to spend another week experimenting with this, I will
just reconfigure my build server to run from a guix git checkout and
test the services directly there. I am working on a system which wraps
itself around GuixSD, sort of like an live-system but specific to some
preconfigured applications, and I've set phases for myself. I'm stuck on
phase I for too long now. Most if not all of what this is will be
upstreamed, so at some point you'll see where this getting.
--
              ng0