guix-devel

User-profile search paths should include system-profile directories

From: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama
Subject: User-profile search paths should include system-profile directories
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:35:28 +0200

Hi guys,

I have an interesting case here. I have guile installed in my system
profile, so that

/var/guix/profiles/system/profile/share/aclocal/guile.m4

is there. However, autoconf is installed in my *user* profile, so
ACLOCAL_PATH is augmented in ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile to include

~/.guix-profile/share/aclocal

But not the system-profile aclocal directory, which would be put into
ACLOCAL_PATH by /var/guix/profiles/system/profile/etc/profile if
autoconf was installed in the systme profile as well.

Is this the intended behaviour? I am wondering whether packages with
search paths should include both the user-profile directories and the
system-profile ones.

Thoughts?

BR

Carlos

--
'There is prodigious strength,' I answered him, 'in sorrow and despair.'

Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities" (1859)