guix-devel

Should updaters suggest changes to inputs?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Should updaters suggest changes to inputs?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:45:39 +0200

Hi Guix,

one problem that I’ve stumbled upon with R packages is that new versions
occasionally depend on new inputs.  “guix refresh -u” updates the
version number and the hash for me, but it doesn’t tell me that new
inputs are needed — or that existing inputs have been dropped —
according to upstream’s DESCRIPTION file.

Usually, these things become obvious when I rebuild all updated
packages, but it’s possible I miss something.

Do you think “guix refresh” should also mention changes to inputs?

~~ Ricardo