guix-devel

Re: Tracking package submissions with Debbugs

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Tracking package submissions with Debbugs
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 09:05:09 +0200

Hello,

using debbugs corresponds to a suggestion I made a while ago, so I am
obviously in favour of it...

On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 10:37:02AM +0800, Alex Vong wrote:
> > I think it would make sense to have the one bug report for the "target
> > package" and then all the packages that get pulled in along the way get
> > tacked on also.
> Hmm, but what if we have 2 target packages (A, B) pulling the same
> package (C) in? Then it is not obvious if C should live in A's or B's
> bug report. What do you think?

I do not quite understand the problem with relating bug reports to packages.
The discussion sounds as if we considered one constantly open bug report per
package, which is maybe a misunderstanding on my part. I would say that bug
reports should correspond roughly to our current discussion threads on
guix-devel: Someone sends in a patch or patch series, which opens a new bug
(there seems to be the problem of git-sendmail still); there are replies back
and forth; in the end the patch is applied (or, from time to time, retracted),
and the bug is closed. In this way, we have an overview of pending patches
and are less likely to forget one.

As for the non-emacs users, I intend to work as before: Subscribe to all the
bugs and have them end up in my mailbox, reply, and potentially close them
by mail.

Andreas