guix-devel

Re: GSoC NPM

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: GSoC NPM
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 18:23:48 +0200

Thompson, David writes:

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Also, I found that you prefer going through the repository/github
>> instead of using the dist tarball.  Why is that?
>
> The tarballs distributed by NPM are considered binaries, not source.

Ah I see.  In some cases there are indeed some differences.  So we'll
probably want to reverse the default: if a repository is present it is
most probably be better to get that.  I only found significant
differences with the fibers package, though.  Others just differ in
having an additional .gitignore and .npmignore file.

I found in some cases that repositories do not have release tags.  In
such cases, it may be "better" to use the dist tarball, as you have a
better chance of getting the exact released version commit?

Greetings,
Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl