guix-devel

Re: How does install-grub work?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: How does install-grub work?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 22:50:56 +0200

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 22:29:40 +0200
David Craven <address@hidden> wrote:

>So for booting a vm we don't actually need a boot loader, since it passes the
>kernel image through the -kernel flag.

Huh, that appears to be the case. Back when I used VMs the first time they
simulated the entire PC, BIOS and all and there you would need the partition
table, bootloader etc just as you would on a real PC. But it seems to have
changed now...

> @Danny: Did you write install-uboot.c? I don't have a clue what it's
> doing =P

Yes, I wrote it. It makes sure it's safe to write to an unclaimed
fixed-position section of a drive and then writes to it.

Essentially it does

$ dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sdX bs=1024 seek=8
        depends on board                                   depends on board

but only after making sure that this doesn't clobber anything (payload data on
parititons, the partition table etcetc).

It's supposed to be analogous to grub-install, just for u-boot.