guix-devel

Re: GHM debriefing

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: GHM debriefing
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:48:14 +0200

> Slides online, and hopefully videos will follow:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/help/#talks

Nice slides!

> On that topic, I had an interesting discussion with Nicolas Petton of
> Emacs about patch tracking.  Nicolas explained that Gitlab (free
> software) doesn’t have some of the technical defects that GitHub has; in
> particular it can rebase instead of merging, thereby helping preserve a
> linear history, and it can be dealt with “mostly” by email.  Perhaps we
> could try running an instance and see what it’s like.

Calling it a technical defect is a little harsh... ;-) Gitlab is going to be an
improvement over the existing state of affairs. Just spent an hour fixing
the u-boot [0] patch manually to apply to a fresh tree. (Line wrapping mostly,
removing some hunks and adding a newline at the end)

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-07/msg01414.html