guix-devel

Re: octave license is incompatible with openssl

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: octave license is incompatible with openssl
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 17:03:55 +0800

> I would not be at all suprised if there were more incompatibilities like
> this.  Ought we not have  a lint rule that checks this?

Indeed, in the short term, we could lint for special case, such that
openssl appears as an input for an GPLv[123](+) package.

In the long term, we could have the following in guix. Since licenses
are scheme values. I was thinking we can have procedure like:

  (compatible? l1 l2)

which is a reflexive and symmetric relation. Also, we might be able to
build compound licenses by:

  (dual-license lics ...)

and

  (intersect-license lics ...)

The 3 procedures should satisfy the following "laws":

  (compatible? l1 (dual-license lics ...))

if and only if

  (any (cut compatible? l1  <>) lics)

Similarly,

  (compatible? l1 (intersect-license lics ...))

if and only if

  (every (cut compatible? l1  <>) lics)

How do everyone think?

Cheers,